Wednesday, March 5, 2014

New Life

My, my! So much has happened since the last time I posted. Let's see if I can get caught up on all the new life around here...

There are now three, yes THREE chicken pens housing a grand total of 31 chickens. I have 28 laying hens & 3 roosters split up into 3 flocks. 














On top of that, I have six 10-day-old Light Brahma chicks. 

<<See and admire>>



AND (I promise, the madness does have an end) I have 18 eggs in my neighbor's incubator. *Sigh* I think I have an addiction...

Oh well. Anyway, my breeds currently include:

Easter Egger
Black Copper Marans
Golden Comet
Game
Ameraucana
Rhode Island Red
Light Brahma
Backyard Mutts featuring all of the above :)

I'd like to eventually have one pen with Easter Eggers & Ameraucana, one pen with mutts, and the third a heritage breed. We'll see how the brahma chicks do. If that doesn't pan out, my next breed of choice would be wyandotte, silver or gold laced.

The next project on my "Daddy-Do" list is a couple of chicken tractors. I spent hours online looking at different designs. I'm looking for cheap & easy, yet sturdy and predator-proof. I've decided on the hoop-style, since I already have some cattle fencing panels someone gave me. I have 2 panels, so I should be able to make 2 tractors. I can cover up the ends with chicken wire. The panels are mainly for a frame, and for structure support. Now to find the time to get it done. 


No comments:

Post a Comment