Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Motherhood

Ah, motherhood.

One of my original game hens, who by the way is about 18 months old now, has decided she is ready to hatch some eggs. I caught her laying in the nest box late Friday evening - much too late to be laying an egg. Sure enough, she huffed up like a puffer fish and made this weird noise, then peck the heck out of my hand! Little hussy!

Of course, there were no eggs in her nest, since I had collected them all earlier in the evening. So, I quickly grabbed a couple of game eggs, and quickly popped them under her before she had time to strike me a second time. She took her wings, and tucked the eggs underneath her, and then settled back down.

In the year that I've been a chicken-keeper, I've learned so much about life, and faith, by watching these amazing birds. They are fearfully & wonderfully made, just as we are. The Lord took such care and planning when he created animals, and plants, just as He did with us. Animals don't have to be told what is correct and what they should do - they just do it. It's natural to them.

I cannot wait to watch this game hen hatch out these eggs and raise her babies. It's going to be a wonderful experience!


No comments:

Post a Comment